If you have been following my Instagram lately (@mikescadutodpt), you have seen me posting many power development exercises for golfers. I wanted to put together a list of my Top 5 drills with progressions so that these drills have context and you can develop a plan to implement them into your training.
If you want to increase your club head speed and driving distance, incorporate these drills into your strength program for best results!
Key Points to Train for Power:
- Intent: the purpose of these drills is to move explosively. The intent should be to move as fast as possible, using the ground to create power.
- Sets and reps: I typically recommend 2-3 sets of 3-6 reps for each exercise. This will keep you from getting too fatigued during each set and maintain explosive power with each rep.
- Weight: For medicine ball tosses, I like to keep the weight fairly light (between 4-8 pounds). The heavier the weight, the slower you will move. So keep the weight light and move fast!
- Programming: I like to train for power at the beginning of a workout session. This will ensure that you have plenty of gas in the tank so you can maximize your power training effect. Also, it will prime your body for the strength to follow.
Here are my Top 5 Drills to Develop Power in Golfers!
1. MB Scoop Toss
Progression 1: MB Drop Step Scoop Toss
Progression 2: MB Step Behind Scoop Toss
2. Explosive Low Cable Row
3. MB Overhead Slams
Progression: 1-Leg MB OH Slams
4. MB Overhead Lateral Slams
Progression: MB Split-Squat Alternating OH Lateral Slams
5. MB Chest Pass
Progression 1: Split Stance MB Chest Pass
Progression 2: MB Step Through Chest Pass